Friday, April 26, 2013

FAVORITE TECH TOYS SHARED WITH PEERS


            In week three, Carolyn H introduced Microblogging, http://ehis.ebscohost.com.ezp.waldenulibrary.org/eds/detail?vid=10&sid=6e486bfe-6559-42c4-8abcbf937f151292%40sessionmgr111&hid=110&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWRzLWxpdmUmc2NvcGU9c2l0ZQ%3d%3d#db=bth&AN=45162184, which she described as a short form of blogging. I like this use of technology because it really is a quick way of finding out if the content of the conversation is something of pinterest (content sharing that allows you to "pin" additional content to the subject board or to your own). I would use Microblogging for research because it is much easier and faster to seek out data on the internet, and then go back to one place you have placed all of your interest, in order to create your reference page or recover your citations.

            Also in week three, Carolyn offered LinkedIn, http://press.linkedin.com/about, which is a site I already knew about and currently use, but had to endorse again because this site keeps you connected to your career path. However, it works well in finding a new direction also. During my unemployment, people knew where to find me, reviewed my skills, and called upon me. When I became discouraged with the job hunt, I signed up for classes in different fields to test my comfort level and desire for change. My latest journey through LinkedIn led me to my new job as the HR Manager in the Houston Independent School District. Not only the job in my field of HR, but I am supporting educators and children. I would encourage anyone to use the service because of the exposure and connectivity it offers.

            DecisionSim (http://decisionsimulation.com/#&panel2-1), offered by Linda K was another of my favorite tech tools. I enjoy activities that have a high level of engagement and reality. I feel learning is enhanced in an environment that helps you forget you are learning and quickly becomes second nature. This particular tools encourages decision-making and problem solving, two elements that I certainly want my doctors and nurses to have when assessing my condition and determining my treatment or recovery plan. In a less critical function, I could see using DecisionSim in a call center coaching environment when practicing how to diffuse irate callers; sometimes your first response is a deal breaker that changes the tone of the conversation. I would also use DecisionSim when working with globally missed teams. Since the simulation is reality based, the use of colloquialisms in a cross-cultural training group is usually something that slows the class down; however, with this type of simulation practice and testing, users will see how the cultural barriers can collapse when we start speaking the same language.

 

1 comment:

  1. Nicole, Glad you liked DecisionSim. There are so many used for this type of technology. For nursing, scenarios would help students with their critical thinking and decision-making skills.

    I also like LindedIn. I feel it would be a great starting place for nursing students to build a professional network.

    ReplyDelete